Some things that have recently struck me in one way or another:
- Literary references to actuaries aren’t that common
- Some interesting graphical representations of relative sizes from xkcd: money (recent) and radiation (older). And from elsewhere: how big is a PhD?
- Old news is the latest thing
- US/UK culture gap: “Like most US universities, [UC Davis] maintains its own police force, employing (as of 2009) 101 people (including administrators), far more than the largest academic departments. The officer wielding the spray is on record as earning $110,000 in 2010, more than all but the better paid full professors.” More
- Social differences on public transport: the tube’s posh.